- Why doesn't Ursula von der Leyen [German Minister for Work] want to sit next to the defense minister at cabinet meetings? Because he is always copying.
- News flash - von Guttenberg copied his first names from the Wikipedia (a joke about the prank someone played on German journalists by adding an extraneous first name to his full name in the Wikipedia: Karl Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg. The Bild-Zeitung even printed the wrong name on the cover.)
- Guttenberg's stock appears to consist mostly of companies that produce copy machines.
- "Wetten dass", an extremely popular German quiz show that contains a crazy bet, has him betting that he can have all of the authors of his thesis show up and salute in front of the Cologne cathedral.
- Helene Hegemann (the young German author caught plagiarizing early last year) to be the next minister of defence.
- We have people selling "ergonomic Guttenberg keyboards" on eBay with just the CTRL, A, C, and V (for "mark all", "copy", "paste")
- Update: An intern in the Ministry of Defence asks "Where's the copier?" "Oh, he's in Afghanistan this week!"
All these jokes didn't keep the media from constantly trying to interview me, although I was in a doctoral seminar all day. I fobbed off the interview service to my research assistent. She had not been interviewed before, but there has to be a first time for everyone, so I threw her into the cold water with instructions to only contact me if a national or local TV show wanted me. She almost drowned in all the interviews, and even ended up on the local news herself. Moi? I had a taxi pick me up and drive me to the next state for the 3 minute interview on the Brandenburg local news.
I hope that all of this media attention wakes schools and universities up and gets them serious about all aspects of scientific misconduct. That has been my goal since I started working in the area of plagiarism, to get Germany to start talking about it and not try and keep a lid on the bubbling swamp that is out there.