He also refers to the Scholarly Open Access blog, run by Jeffery Beall, who has written extensively about junk science. I just love the entry on the "Six new vanity presses", in which he discusses:
- Intellectual Archive: "This site is an 'institutional repository' for people who ought to be institutionalized."
- Wudpecker Research Journals: From India, that name does stand out
- Academy & Industry Research Collaboration Center: A combined conference and journal from India. Just what the doctor ordered to meet your two publications a year.
- MASAUM Network: Only £200 for accepted papers
- Centre For Info Bio Technology (CIBTech): The spelling on their web page is apparently adventurous
- Pelagia Research Library: does not say where it is located, but since it accepts payment in Rupees, Beall assumes that it is located there.
"The open-access movement started with good will and good intentions. Unfortunately, it has now been co-opted by a bunch of corrupt schemers who threaten to destroy the foundation of scholarly communication."We need to spread the word -- and find some way of separating the wheat from the chaff.